Emily is finally two and I can at last definitively say I long for those days about as much as Nelson Mandela wishes he was back in prison.
The tantrums are not fun, but they are brief and are improving over time. They are more than offset by the range of emotions that wasn't there two years ago. At the beginning, there was only mad and asleep. Now happiness, boredom, curiosity, remorse, playfulness and a slew of other emotions have joined the mix.
As for the questions, they have been coming for about six months now and although I am not always able to give a satisfactory answer, I must say that I love being constantly asked, "What is that?" or "What's that sound?". I love the awakening that is taking place every day. With the awakening comes communication I would have never dreamed possible a year ago. I can answer her questions. I can explain rules to her. I can calm her down by talking to her and (my favorite) I can bribe her to be good.

This whole experience has left me wishing that children came into the world as toddlers rather than infants. It has also left me with a great deal of doubt when those same parents who told me I would hate the toddler years tell me how bad teenagers are. Something tells me I will never again wish for colic. And there is a great deal of comfort in that.
Now... let's just hope that the parents who tell me the second one is always more mellow are right.
4 comments:
That is such a cute picture! I can't believe how fast she's growing. That and your post comforted me. I think Simon has recently developed colic. Okay I know that's not possible at 7 months old. I think he's just having the worst teething experience any child can have. It is comforting to see that there is an end to the madness.
Don't worry. Every kid has their bad weeks and months. I'm hoping this time around I will have better perspective, but it's hard to do on a bad day. Hang in there!
Do you have an announcement to make? You are incredibly subtle if you're saying what I think you're saying.
I am indeed a master of subtlety then. I had to get cracking if I ever wanted enough kids to work a decent sized farm. I'm due December 22nd.
I'm glad you guys found my blog. It turns out my stalker was a 40 year old guy with a crumbling marriage who I assume is looking for ladies. I decided to make a fresh start with an unlisted blog. I included you on the email, but I think I have an old address.
Post a Comment