Saturday, January 24, 2009

Guilty Pleasures

I have two rules about entertainment:

1) I can watch anything on TV just as long as I am running on the treadmill and,

2) I can read anything just as long as I am nursing a baby.

This has led to me watching more episodes of Oprah and reruns of Gilmore Girls than are probably good for me, but at least I come away with a workout, right?

For the last eighteen months, I have read only good books - appropriate for my age range (except for the final Harry Potter - I read the first six while nursing Emily and wasn't about to stop short of the end). I have made sure that anything I read could be toted into airport terminals and doctor's waiting rooms without embarrassment. For eighteen months, I saved a guilty pleasure, knowing that I would be able to read it when I started nursing again.

On black Friday, I finally purchased my guilty pleasure - a boxed set of the Twilight novels. Due to shipping delays, I just received it last week. I was in the middle of The Age of Innocence when they finally arrived and I eyed them anxiously as I finished reading the great literary masterpiece. I felt uplifted at the end of the novel as Newland Archer walked away from the Countess Olenska's apartment without going in and then, without pausing to let this amazing book sink in, I dove into the Twilight series.


I am really enjoying reading something fun and fluffy again. Maybe a little too much. But not so much that I wish Chris would become infected by a vampire. The books are also making me feel old. Very old. At times, I want to tell Bella how stupid it is that she is dating a vampire and that no one really "loves" someone after knowing them for two weeks. I have reached the conclusion that there is a reason these books are in the teen section at Barnes and Noble. But, still, they make for great reading in the middle of the night when everyone else is asleep and I am dreading being finished with them. Still, next time I have to go to the doctor or get my hair cut, I will be grabbing the waiting copy of David Copperfield to accompany me. I wouldn't want anybody getting the wrong idea...

3 comments:

Ginger said...

I haven't read those yet....I'm not sure if I'm planning to. I'm having a hard time reading anything other then Jigsaw Jones Mysteries. (For a dollar a day he makes problems go away)

Ami Paulsen said...

That's really funny. I refer to the Twilight series as my "guilty pleasure" as well. It's horrible writing, a totally unrealistic story and impossible love. In the real world, that would be called stalking. Yet I can't get enough of them. They draw you in. When I read them the second time, I thought it would take me longer since I already knew what happened and didn't have the suspense factor. It took me a week. I'm ridiculous.

The Jones Family said...

I loved the Twilight series! I read all four books in about 2 weeks. I'm sure it only took me that long because I didn't have all the books purchased to begin with, and had to wait for a return trip to the store. I referred to them as my brainless reading, most of which took place way too late at night. Enjoy them! There is enough time to read the serious stuff, and no one is going to ask for you to turn in a 500 word book report. :)
Love & Miss ya!
Marcie