Saturday, March 20, 2010

R.I.P. Or Not - I Don't Care

It wasn't that long ago I said goodbye to my first beloved treadmill. It lasted six years and many thousand miles. Was I dumb to expect the same from my new Horizon treadmill? I guess so. 21 months (which actually includes a pregnancy where I was only able to run a couple miles at a time) and barely a thousand miles later, the "new" treadmill is effectively dead. I say effectively because it works fabulously until it suddenly dies in the middle of a run.

After realizing we would have to replace $700 worth of parts to appease the beast, we purchased a new treadmill, which will be here in 4 weeks. A long 4 weeks. Yes, I know it's spring and the weather's beautiful, but DFS comes down pretty hard on moms who leave the house to go running while their kids are asleep. Crazy overprotective government anyway.

I am very excited about the new treadmill, though. It's not club quality, but it's a lot closer to it than the ghosts of treadmill past. The motor has 50% more horsepower and better cooling capabilities. And... (drumroll please)... wireless chest strap heart rate monitor compatibility (the preceding should be read in a high-pitched borderline little girl scream while jumping up and down). In just four short weeks, I'll let you know how I like it. And hopefully, treadmills aren't like dogs - none of them ever live up to the memory of your first. (This does not, by the way, apply to me. Did any of you ever met Mike? Worst dog ever. No wonder I'm thrilled about Emily's dog allergy.)

Conclusion:

1) I should have bought another cheap Proform instead of this piece of junk.
2) Our car savings account will never, ever grow again and I will never, ever get a new car.

2 comments:

Ami Paulsen said...

See it's funny becuase, when you said the thing about "no dog will ever live up to the memory of your first" I thought "That's not true. Holly is a way better dog than Mike. You really can't get a worse dog than Mike." So then I had to laugh when you mentioned him as well.

Michelle said...

Rachael, please blog more often. I love reading your stuff. I'm telling you, there's a readership in your future!