Wednesday, May 19, 2010

You've Had a Birthday, Shout Hooray!

Has it really been four years since that memorable day in May when Chris and I went from being a couple to a full blown family? Apparently it has. And we had the blowout extravaganza celebration to prove it.

Emily selected a "Little Einstein's" theme.

This is the cake:

This particular cake may have taken a professional decorator 15 minutes, but it took me and my skills 5 hours to do. I am recording the amount of time here so that in the future when Emily doesn't call me in the nursing home on my birthday, I will have adequate basis for a huge guilt trip.

For her party, we invited her sunbeams class and I had a brilliant idea of letting 7 small children paint conducting batons. I don't recommend this particular practice, but no permanent damage was done and I learned a valuable lesson. (yes, folks - those are garbage bags we put over the kids' heads)

The rest of the party went pretty well and I believe a good time was had by all. My mom and dad were able to join us for the day and Emily loved having them there.

I am thankful Emily is part of our family. She brings a great deal of joy into our lives and she amazes us every day with her ability to figure things out. She is able to express herself with the typical 4 year old humor and wit reminding us that some of the greatest pleasures in life can also be the simplest. Happy Birthday, Emily! We love you!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

The cake looks awesome. I'll call you in the nursing home. I'll come pluck any stray whiskers you may have too. (As long as you promise me the same courtesy)

Your mom said...

Your cake is pretty dang impressive, Ultra mom!