Thursday, December 2, 2010

Treed

I love a fresh Christmas tree. It makes the house smell so lovely and piney and I don't have to store it year round. Not to mention that for $25 you can have a tree that looks exactly like a real tree. For the time being, I'm kind of happy that our budget doesn't allow for an artificial tree. So are the girls.

A few nights ago, we went to our local home improvement store to purchase a tree. I wish we could have wandered out into the wilderness like the Grizwolds, but the idea of hauling Jane through snowdrifts didn't exactly appeal to me. Someday... or maybe not.

Emily was more than happy to help Chris with the prep work involved with a real tree.

And both the girls got in on the decorating (and subsequent undecorating) of the tree.

Emily got to place the star atop the tree ( Does this remind you of the little girl in Mr. Kruger's Christmas? Me neither.)





This is what a tree decorated by small people possessed of small judgment looks like. I wouldn't trade it for any other tree.

Several years ago (when it was just Chris and me) we decided to do a wreath in lieu of a Christmas tree. Less hassle and same great piney smell. Somehow, I had a hard time eliminating the wreath tradition when we started doing a Christmas tree. It is the sole element of Christmas that I have total control over. So here is the wreath I got to decorate in peace and quiet without any help.

 
The tree is already half undecorated and may not survive until Christmas, but I still love making the house a little Christmasy.

2 comments:

Chris Pivik said...

Great job on the wreath...I will enjoy smelling it on the way into the house for the next month.

Michelle said...

Amen Amen Amen Amen to all of this. My tree is completely destroyed thanks to the twins and my christmas spirit is dwindling as I continue to fight the battle to keep that tree resembling a holiday symbol versus some beat up tree that I have randomly hanging out in my front room. The wreath is a great idea. Maybe I should try that out and perhaps find my peace for the season.