Somehow it seemed wrong to be walking to school in the oppressive heat (don't the Berenstein Bears always know it's time to go to school when the leaves turn yellow and the breeze turns cold?), but Emily made the arduous four-block journey with admirable stamina.
(daddy took a bit of time off so he could walk Emily to school the first day)
She wasn't exactly chomping at the bit when we arrived at the playground and she became even more nervous once she was seated at her table. Yes, there were tears on both sides. But she started it. When things didn't get better, I knew it was time to leave. A kind aide assured me she would be smiling at the end of the day.And she was.
After braving the walk home, her first concern was for her sister, who had missed her all day. They discussed the day over the remains of Emily's lunch (which were considerable. I hope by the end of the year she'll learn to eat her lunch a little more quickly).
Today she told me she forgot to miss me because she was too busy. She also told me she needed to wear tennis shoes tomorrow. She says she thinks it's because they might play tennis in gym class. One thing's for sure: when she comes home, she probably won't remember what they did in gym class. Or anything else about school. At least that's how it's been the last two days. I'm expecting this trend to continue for the next 13 years. In the meantime, she's happy and that makes me happy.
3 comments:
Awww, I bet she loves school.
We are having difficulty with lunch as well. Appartently, there has been a much ado about the wheat bread that I've been using lately. I'm not completely sure what to do, because I know that she'd rather starve...she's told me that several times. Sigh, good times.
(As a side note-my word verification is "mental") Sweet.
I cannot believe she is that old!!! We love you, Emily!!
Chris is such a good daddy! And you are such a good mom! I am proud of you both, but most of all I'm happy that Emily is happy.
Post a Comment