Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Putting on the Ritz

This past weekend Chris and I wanted to do something really fun to celebrate our anniversary... like a week long trip to a tropical destination. There were a couple things standing in our way. 1) Inevitably, every single year, our anniversary falls 4 days before Christmas. I have yet to figure out why that is. 2) I just started working on December 1st and I have no vacation time. None.

Despite these obstacles, my fabulous parents to whom I am eternally grateful volunteered to take the kids so we could have one night to celebrate. I had to work on Friday ALL day long (Technically my boss let me go 7 minutes early. I am proportionately grateful) and we wanted to be back early on Saturday. That didn't give us much time, so we decided to make the most of it.

As soon as I got off work, we headed down to D-town and checked into the Ritz-Carlton. I'm blogging now because I absolutely have to document this experience. You folks who are used to staying in luxury hotels all the time may be blase about this sort of thing but to me it was a life changing event. From the moment we arrived, I felt like a kid seeing Disneyland for the first time.

The lobby was so amazingly beautiful. I wanted to take a picture, but I figured the ear-to-ear grin already made me look enough like a hick visiting the big city for the first time so I refrained.


You know how sometimes you get to a hotel and the lobby is amazing but then when you get to your room, it doesn't seem to match the lobby? Well, this was not the case. We arrived in our room and waiting for us was a lovely anniversary gift from the hotel staff.


The room was spectacular. The bathroom was all natural stone. And (the true mark of luxury) we had been provided with a total of 6 towels, two robes and 8 pillows.




See? 8 pillows. And you didn't believe me. I almost felt a little guilty seeing as how we were only two people. I could hardly tear myself away from all those pillows and towels, but I did.

We had a lovely trip through the botanic gardens' light display.






And then a fabulous dinner at the hotel's restaurant.

When we arrived back at the hotel, we realized we had both forgotten to pack a razor. A call to the front desk brought a knock to our door within 60 seconds (Yes! 60 seconds! And we were on the 10th floor). The staff member was holding this

and she politely asked if it would do. Of course it would!

Saturday morning we were able to use the hotel's gym (not a fitness area - a real gym!) to have a fabulous run. And then came the sad part. We had to leave. In particular, I had a hard time parting with this incredibly luxurious robe, which was the loveliest piece of clothing I have ever worn.

Someday, when I'm able to sell one of my amazing inventions for billions of dollars, I'll think nothing of a weekend like this. But for now, this small town girl was pretty impressed.

Thanks for a great weekend, Chris!

2 comments:

Chris Pivik said...

BEST. ANNIVERSARY. EVER.

Your mom said...

Looks like so much fun!