Saturday, April 21, 2012

Easter

Easter is fun with small children. Especially my small children.
 They love dyeing eggs, but aren't too crazy about the finished product. After all, who wants a hard boiled egg when you can have...
 Candy! Lots and lots of candy. I'm pretty sure each of the kids ate their weight in candy on Easter. I've heard of parents better than I limiting their children's Eastertide sugar consumption, but I am not one of those parents. I have great memories as a kid of eating jellybeans until I wanted to puke and then not leaving room for my Mom's lovingly prepared ham and funeral potatoes. Who am I to deprive my kids of those memories?
 This year, Emily and I went dress shopping without Jane (due to Jane's lack of interest in clothing shopping and Emily's overwhelming desire to try on everything in the store). I let Emily pick her own dress and then allowed her to talk me into buying an identical one for Jane. It won't be long before they'll want to be different, so I thought I'd indulge their desire to be the same while it lasts.
 That evening, they hunted for eggs (The kids get to choose their own after-church attire on Sundays. I am not responsible for the ensembles  pictured here)
 Emily found one more than Jane, making her the self declared "winner" of Easter. Sheesh. I need to work a little harder on teaching my kids the true meaning. Rest assured, however, that if you were to ask my kids what we think about on Easter, they will be able to tell you the story of the atonement, more or less.

Still, who can resist all that candy and plastic egg hunting? Not my kids, that's for sure.

1 comment:

Ami Paulsen said...

I love the dresses! We didn't limit the candy intake either. Simon had emptied half his basket before church.