Sunday, February 3, 2013

Incising a Riot

For the last couple years Emily's classmates have been losing more teeth than they do in an episode of "Moonshiners". Emily has felt left out. No making it on the lost tooth board at school, no gap toothed smile, no lisp.

Last week that all changed when Emily finally had a wiggly tooth. After a good bit of effort, she pulled it herself. She would let neither Chris nor I touch it. She came running out of the bathroom, blood streaming down her chin, a gory tooth in hand and an exultant spring in her step.

It being bedtime, she wanted to make sure she was fairly compensated for her dental loss. Now at our house, we don't believe in the tooth fairy. It's just too silly. So this note, although addressed to the tooth fairy, was really for Chris and I.



(Dear Tooth Fairy, 
I lost my first tooth and I will have candy or money.)

We put her to bed, but as we were getting ready for bed, we heard a ruckus in the hall. We opened our door to find this note along with her lost tooth pillowed on a strip of toilet paper. She wanted to make sure we didn't forget. 

We didn't forget. I'm not sure what the going rate for a tooth is, but Emily awoke to a buck and a roll of Smartees she forgot to eat from her Halloween stash. She decided that was ample compensation for the pain and suffering of losing a tooth. 

She still has a few too many teeth to be featured on Moonshiners, but tooth #2 is already starting to wiggle. One down, nineteen to go!

No comments: