Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Aaand We're Back



Today the kids went back to the educational system. Because it's necessary that they get some book learnin' so I'm not supporting them when they're forty. 

First things first. Before Jane could start Kindergarten, she had to have a last day of preschool. We all had mixed emotions about this. On one hand, she was excited to move on. On the other hand, preschool has been so great for her. Her teachers have been fantastic and she has learned and grown so much.  


There was a bit of a gap between the end of preschool/summer camp and the beginning of school.We did our best to fill the gap.

Their days with daddy included hiking, movies and a trip to the dinosaur museum at UW.



Mommy isn't as cool. We decorated cupcakes. Yes, that is canned frosting. Why? Because it's disgusting and I didn't want to be tempted by the cupcakes. Is that reason enough?


Also, their back to school prep included haircuts. Emily requested bangs. Thanks to youtube, she now has bangs. Jane said she wanted fangs too. 


This morning, they woke up early and were ready to go. Emily to third grade and Jane to Kindergarten. Jane said she wanted Moaning Myrtle pigtails. There was some debate over whether Moaning Myrtle has curled or straight fangs. 


You be the judge.

As soon as Emily got to school, she reconnected with her friends. I love that she invited Jane to hang out with her. 


But as soon as the bell rang, things got real. It wasn't pretty. It was almost as bad as Emily's first day of Kindergarten. Almost. 


I tried to get her to smile for a picture. When that didn't work, I decided to take an authentic picture anyway. 

But by the end of the day she was happy. She was also singing a song about a gummy bear. Over. And over. And over. 


Emily had a great day of third grade. At this point for her it is business as usual. That's going to change in four years in a big way, so we will enjoy elementary school for now, trying to forget that Junior High is looming in the distance. 


I hope tomorrow will go a little better now that Jane is convinced that school is fun. 


On a personal note, I was so glad that I didn't go home to an empty house after dropping the kids off. When I went back to work it was earlier than I had wanted and I went back kicking, screaming and miserable. Now I am grateful for my job because it gives me a chance to learn and grow while my kids are learning and growing. Also because I hate crafts and cleaning house and I have no self control when it comes to baked goods. Me being at work really is best for everyone at this point. 

Happy School Year!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Good luck, ladies! I hope Jane has a better 2nd day. Rachel starts school tomorrow. Hopefully all goes well.