Monday, July 4, 2016

I Think I Can...cun

Last year we had a trip planned to Key West. It was going to be awesome. Then, a week before we were supposed to leave, I was diagnosed. As much as I hated to, we cancelled the trip. But this year we planned a Summer of George to make up for the lost fun.

We started last week in Cancun. My folks watched the kids for which we are grateful.

It was an educational voyage in which we learned many things:

Mexican candy sucks. I don't mean to start any international wars, but these red squishy things

and these blobs of dough


ain't got nothing on a good Snickers Bar or Reese's Cup.

We also learned that little Mexican towns love tourists. Especially the kind that bring American dollars. To them, all Americans are rich and I guess it's true that we are. We have sewer systems that can handle toilet paper, water we can drink straight from the tap, and almost every household has wifi. So I don't mind spending a few of my American dollars at shops like this. 


The Mayans were crazy violent people. Pictured here is an ancient Quidditch court where the team who got the most balls through the hoop won. And then were beheaded as a reward.  


Our tour guide told us all these souvenir stands at Chichen Itza were run by the mafia. Personally I think he was in league with the guys in the shop (pictured above) where we stopped on the way. I'm not sure if he was full of crap or not, but it was interesting for sure. 


Chichen Itza was huge and awesome. It is the only wonder of the world I have seen so far and it definitely deserves the title.


This is a cenote. Something I had no idea existed until recently. It's a sinkhole filled with water in the middle of the jungle. I jumped off a 15' platform into the cenote, but there is no record of it on account of Chris not being ready and me not wanting to wait for him in case I lost my nerve. It was cool.


Mexican chocolate is the best. I don't know why they don't use more in their candy. I fell in love with this chocolate while there. I can't get it in the States, so I took a stash back with me in my backpack.


Chris looks pretty boss swimming in the ocean. It looks like he is leaving civilization for good and striking out to find new horizons. 


I, on the other hand look like a very pale girl getting a very bad sunburn. And that is exactly what is happening. In Hawaii, I burned so bad that I invested in some rash guards for this trip. Now I need a rash guard for my legs. Sunscreen just doesn't cut it.


Zip lining is fun. It put a big smile on my face. But it didn't quit give me the rush I was looking for. I wanted it to be a little faster and a little more adrenaline inducing. I think the park we chose has a lot of mass appeal so they couldn't be too extreme. 


The amphibious vehicles were cool and kind of made me want a ATV. But not enough to spend that much money on a toy. 


It was hard to say goodbye to Cancun. It was amazing and surreal and lovely. But we have to get back to our jobs...


in order to fund Summer of George Part II: Disneyworld and Universal Studios. I can hardly wait. 

No comments: