Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Punk Kids

If I ever had anything in common with teenagers, I no longer do. I started to come to this realization when Chris and I were in the movie theater a few weeks ago. A few minutes into the previews, two teenage girls plopped down right next to me and started whispering and texting. After a prolonged conversation, they decided their diets could tolerate some popcorn and so they asked me if I would save their seats while they visited the concessions stand.

"Ahh... Nope", I said, smiling politely. Why would I want to save the seats of two girls who were ruining my evening? I would rather take my chances with the next latecomer.

The girl stared at me dumbfounded, "No? Seriously? You won't save our seats?".

"No, seriously".

They didn't know how to respond, so they left without another word. We moved down a couple rows and from there on out enjoyed the movie.

Last week, I had another run in that made me realize that I could probably never make it as a high school teacher. At least not teaching the dumb kids.


A few friends and I decided to arrange a play date at a local park. As soon as I arrived, I noticed several teenagers (who were supposed to be in school at the time) playing on equipment intended for the preschool and grade school crowd. We tried to ignore them, but as soon as lunchtime began at the nearby high school, the crowd multiplied to dozens of teenagers, squeezing our small children out of the park. When they started smoking and talking at the tops of their voices about things that shouldn't even be mentioned in whispers, I knew that it was time to go.

I left feeling old. Had I really changed so much in a decade? After a bit of thinking, I realized that I hadn't changed. I never liked kids like that. I had always given them dirty looks and the occasional verbal reprimand - even when I was their age. I'm not old - just reasonable.

Now my greatest fear is sending my little girl out into a world where kids behave like that. Maybe when she turns 12, I'll order up some brochures for one of those bad kid boot camps. That way I'll have something to scare her with if she ever comes home with hoop earrings that touch her shoulders and a midriff bearing shirt.

7 comments:

Ami Paulsen said...

I know what you mean. I'm terrified for Simon to enter that world and he's only 6 months old!! Look on the bright side though. If Emily is too rowdy you could probably get her on Maury and then he'd pay for the boot camp. Maybe you could just tape episodes to threaten her with at a later date if necessary.

Chris Pivik said...

I hope you realize you married one of those kids. I'm the one in the picture all goth-ed out.

Because I'm DAAAAARK!

Rachael said...

Do you mean the chick or the black guy?

Ginger said...

Yeah Rachael! I'm so excited to meet again in blog land. I'm so looking forward to each and every sarcastic remark you have to offer.

Rachael said...

Thanks, Ginger. I was glad to find you have a blog. It's so much fun to keep up with old friends.

Ami: If Simon lives in Utah long enough, you have some real teenage delinquincies to worry about. Like going to BYU. Now that's scary.

Chris Pivik said...

Yes, you are correct.

Ami Paulsen said...

That is 100% true. That's why we're getting out of here as soon as possible.