For the last few weeks I have been shopping... and shopping... and shopping for a flower girl dress for Emily. I keep running into the same problem: the dresses I have found are all immodest. Just like the phenomenon of the two-piece swimsuit for babies, the flower girl dresses seem to look indecent on the toddlers for which they are intended.
Now tell me this doesn't look a little bizarre:
(By the way, this is not the dress I selected.)
I decided a long time ago that I wasn't going to spring modest dress on my girls the day we go to pick out the first bra. I figured that if I communicate to them that this is the way we dress from the time they are able to understand, it will be less of an issue. This means no short skirts, low necklines or sleeveless tops (with, of course reasonable exceptions for sports). Now that Emily is aware of clothing, it's important that I start being firm with the modesty rules.
As a result, I am currently looking for a shirt to go under Jane's Easter dress and a cardigan to go over Emily's flower girl dress. Wouldn't it be easier if manufacturers just made dresses with sleeves in the first place? Or maybe they're just trying to squeeze 20 extra bucks for a cardigan out of all the prudes like me.
Sometimes I wonder if I should just let it go for now and start imposing rules when my girls are able to actually able to understand the reasons behind them. But then, that leads to a whole new problem - I have to tell them why they need to dress modestly. It's hard enough for a girl to... develop without having to explain to her that boys are all perverts and that she needs to start wearing clothes that discourage "that kind of attention". Because then you have to explain what "that kind" is and I'm not sure I want to have that talk with a ten year old girl. So that brings me back to square one... looking for a cardigan.
Tuesday, February 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I know what you mean. I've always thought the same thing. Where is the cut off? When do you say "Okay you can't dress like that anymore."?
I'm glad I don't have to deal with that with a boy but I may just have a girl one day.
Last week I had a baby shower for a girl and babies r us had dresses on sale for $10. There was only 1 with any kind of sleeve and it wasn't that sleeve-ish.
It's ridiculous!
Post a Comment