The other day a group of friends and I were having a discussion about concerts we'd seen and I realized something: most of my favorite bands are either all or mostly dead. That makes me a little sad. There are only a few bands in the last ten years that I've even remotely enjoyed listening to. The radio is packed with R&B and bands that try to sound like U2 (Yes, Chris. I'm talking about Coldplay).
Meanwhile, I am still waiting for Boston to find someone decent to replace Brad Delp or for Christine McVee to return to Fleetwood Mac or for Bon Jovi to quit sucking. But in the long run it doesn't matter because they're all getting old and I haven't found anybody new to love.
Maybe it's the new music formats that have made music so disposable. I used to love going to the store to get a new CD. I would pay fifteen bucks for an album with two songs I liked and then listen to it nonstop over the next week. Eventually, I would come to love the rest of the album. Now you pay a buck a song to download just the ones you want. Do bands even put out albums anymore or do they just release single after gimmicky single?
So there you have it. I am a musical dinosaur. I long for the days when I would browse through the used CD's at Hastings hoping that someone had cast aside a decent Peter Gabriel album. And I no longer know where to start when I want to listen to something new. The internet is crammed with mediocre music and the radio is all country all the time. So does anyone have any good suggestions on how and where to find good music? If I don't do something fast, all my faves will be too old to tour in ten years and I will be doomed to a life without concerts just as my girls will be old enough to stay home alone.
Tuesday, April 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I know how you feel. I've only started liking a few new bands since college, and with the rampant drug use, they'll most likely all be dead by the time I can go to concerts as well.
I wouldn't worry about anything happening to U2 though. I'm fairly certain the British government has created a conspiracy to make Bono immortal. He is a knight after all. Or perhaps he's replaceable by an exact replicate like Shamu.
If this doesn't comfort you, check out pandora.com. They supply me with most of my new music.
I feel your pain! Donovan gave me a gift card last November to download some new music to my Zune. It still sits next to the computer, because I have no idea what I would like to download. Sadly I'm not savvy enough with the new artists to know what is out there, and my fav's from my high school days of grunge and alternative rock are a little hard for my children to enjoy with me. Sadly in our household the most listened to music is either Playhouse Disney or the Laurie Berkner Band. :0)
Miss & Love ya!!
I like pandora.com too! I just tried it today.
Post a Comment