Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Open Mouth... Insert Foot

I say stupid things. Lots and lots of stupid things. As a matter of fact, if anyone asked me if I had a special talent I would tell them that I am gifted with verbal slip-ups. Today I made one such slip-up and it got me to thinking about some of my more memorable ones.

My favorite is the Date Auction incident of my Freshman year. Those of you who heard this particular Freudian slip, may remember it. Unfortunately it is a story I can't repeat here because the subject of the slip is still unaware of it and you never know who's reading.

My most disastrous slip occurred when I was teaching the Easter sharing time in primary. One particularly mouthy little girl asked why we couldn't learn about Jesus and the Easter Bunny. I told her it was because Jesus was real and the Easter Bunny wasn't. I didn't realize I had said anything out of line until I saw all the little crestfallen faces. Before you think I'm a total jerk, keep in mind it was senior primary, meaning there was no one under 8 in the room.

This Easter, I was praying over breakfast. Emily wouldn't stop playing with the toy rabbit she had received in her basket. So I inadvertently prayed that the food would nourish and strengthen our bunnies. I'm pretty sure that prayer just got canceled out.

That brings me to today. I ran into a girl I knew in high school while we were at the park. She recognized me right away, but it took a minute for me to remember her. Finally, I said, "Oh. I know you. You married James Potter. I used to work with him". I went on to tell her about how I took the P.E. exam with James. We talked for a bit about our kids and then it was time for us to go home. I called Chris at lunch and told him I ran into James Potter's wife.

"You mean Jason?"
"No, James. I'm sure of it. She didn't correct me and I said his name several times".
Chris looks his name up on the roster of his coworkers, "No. It's Jason".
"I could have sworn it was James".


Then it hit me. It couldn't have been James Potter because James was married to Lily. He was also killed by Voldemort thirty years ago. At least I didn't call him Dobby.

4 comments:

Ginger said...

Oooooohhh, I'm dying to know about the date night auction. I seem to remember something about it, but I can't quite remember.

Thanks for giving me a laugh.

James Potter, funny!

Rachael said...

Ginger - you were actually there for the Date Auction incident. I meant to ask, "What time is the Date Auction", but I replaced the word "Date" with the name of the guy whose date I was aiming to win. Does that help?

Loren said...

I remember that!!

The Jones Family said...

Oh, the Easter slip up wasn't that bad. :) If it makes you feel any better in High School seminary on MULTIPLE occasions I offered my gratitude while giving the prayer for the "opportunity to attend cemetery." Yes, I did say multiple occasions.