Saturday, May 16, 2009

If I had one wish then it would be... A happy happy birthday to you from me

It's official. I own a 3 year old. Most people get excited when they turn 16 because they can legally operate a car. But the big news around my house right now is 3. Because at 3 you can buy the toys with the little parts because the government says that you should have enough of a brain to not swallow the tiny parts. We'll see if that holds true.

Emily had a lovely birthday starting with the annual birthday zoo trip:

Then came the actual birthday and the birthday party.
Here's the cake:

She had a fun party with her friends and we discovered that all a 3 year old really wants out of a party is cake and balloons. Thank goodness we had plenty of both.

Emily also got her very own camera for her birthday. This is one of the better pictures. We deleted the ones of our feet and knees.
Even Jane got in on the birthday action. Her new highchair arrived (Emily trashed hers so badly that we decided to start from scratch when we realized that Emily's needed $70 in replacement parts.)

Jane doesn't eat any solids yet, but she loves sitting in it because she can get the lay of the land. Very useful for planning escape routes from Emily once she becomes mobile. And speaking of sitting... Jane sat by herself for the first time today. And I can't help but be just a little proud that did it two weeks earlier than Emily did.
Hurrah for Birthdays. And hurrah for me that I don't have to decorate another cake until Jane turns 1 in December.

4 comments:

Heather said...

Happy Birthday (again) Emily!! We had so much fun celebrating with you guys and your cake really was fabulous! Great job!!! We'll have to get together again soon!

Ginger said...

Wow! Great job on the cake! Here's another reason why 3 is fun, now she'll be old enough for Primary next January.

Ami Paulsen said...

That cake is AWESOME! I wish I could do that. By the way, I'm 26, and all I really want out of a birthday party is cake and lots of balloons.
And YAY Jane for sitting up. I love those kind of mile-stones. I love the picture of Jane smiling at Emily from her high chair. We're SO excited to see you guys!!

The Jones Family said...

Happy Birthday to Emily!!! I can't believe our girls are already 3. The cake is BEAUTIFUL!
Well done Jane! sitting already! Sounds like a great week, full of important milestones!
I wish we could be there to share them!