Friday, June 5, 2009

Silence is Golden

Since I have been blessed with two colicky babies, I am very grateful to also be blessed with an effective (albeit temporary) solution to colic.

When Emily was about four months old, a friend lent me a Baby Einstein DVD. I told her that I wasn't going to set a baby in front of the TV. She urged me to give it a try and assured me it wouldn't turn my child into a vegetable. That night, I went home and guiltily put the DVD in the player. For the first time I was able to just sit with Emily on my lap and have her not scream. The next day I bought the (then) complete Baby Einstein DVD set from Ebay. I limited her to two Baby Einsteins per day and relished my two twenty-minute silent periods.

I don't use it every day with Jane because she isn't quite on the same playing field Emily was. But today she was screaming that scream all day long that made me expect her eyes to glow red and for her to utter a phrase in a demonic language. Finally, this afternoon, I dragged her exersaucer in front of the TV and popped in the panacea. The relief that came as she immediately quieted down and began to watch Baby Noah literally brought tears to my eyes. For the next twenty minutes, I emptied the dishwasher and cleaned up the kitchen while listening to the pleasant music that had so instantly soothed Jane.

I was so happy that I took a picture of her, silently watching, sucking her thumb, her puffy red eyes beginning to dry. As soon as I snapped the picture, I knew it looked familiar to me.

_____Emily, almost 5 months_____ Jane, almost 6 months______

And both times there was a happy Mom behind the camera. Hurrah for Baby Einstein. Hurrah for twenty minutes of peace.



2 comments:

Ami Paulsen said...

Baby Einstein is the greatest invention of all time. It's gotten us through screaming fits, meals, road-trips, colds, teeth and the stomach flu. Now that Simon has graduated from Baby Einstein, I am very grateful for Little Einsteins, which is the only reason I'm able to shower each day. I owe my sanity and hygiene to the Baby Einstein Company.

Michelle said...

Hey Rachael!
Thanks for the comment about the low hourly wage of a mother. It was great to hear from you. I like your blog. Your posts are fantastic with pictures of the girls. Also, I liked the cake you decorated for Emily's birthday. I decorate cakes as a hobby, let's say, so if you need me to help you with Jane's on Dec. 1 I am more than happy to help :)
take care,
Michelle