Thursday, June 11, 2009

That's Solids, Man... Real Solids

This week Jane hit 6 months. That means she is (slowly) moving out of her colic and spit-up days, starting to eat solids and it also means she will be getting a hand. More on the hand later.



First, food.

We waited for as long as possible to introduce Jane to solids because it was such a screaming horrible mess with Emily. But we had nothing to worry about. Turns out Jane likes to eat. And that's okay when you're six months old because no one makes fun of you for having cellulite on your calves.

According to Jane's physiatrist, six months is also the perfect time to fit a baby with a prosthetic hand. Yes, I was reluctant. But here's what sold me: she said that if we don't do it now, our next window will occur in another 5 or 6 years and that if we do it now, she will accept it as part of her body more easily. But even at that, I would have never signed on for full time use. Jane will wear her hand in half hour periods a few times a day - just to build up her shoulder strength and get her used to having something there.

Her first hand will be what they call "passive". It won't have moving parts and will be made out of hard plastic. I'll post some pictures of it when we get it. At 18 months, she will move to a mechanical hand and a few years after that an electric hand. If at that point she doesn't want to use it, I'm perfectly fine with her not wearing a prosthesis, but this way we keep her options open.

So that is the hand story.

In other news, we finally got some cute pictures of Jane in her blessing dress.




Thanks, Mom for the beautiful dress. Thanks, Chris for the beautiful baby. I take no credit.

2 comments:

Ami Paulsen said...

I like food too, Jane.

The Jones Family said...

Jane is beautiful & so is her dress!
I can't decide what is worse, getting a baby to eat solids, or the diapers that follow..... I'm gland to hear Jane is doing well with the eating. Good luck on both. :)