Friday, August 14, 2009

Lacking in Horse Sense

I couldn't believe it when I saw what Emily had been up to. For once, the silence didn't mean that she was destroying our very way of life. She had never done a puzzle before, so I was ready to burst with pride when I saw she had completed four puzzles without any assistance, the most complex of which contained 12 pieces.



"My daughter is a genius!", I said to myself and immediately began thinking about how I would compose my letter to Mensa. I thought carefully about my stating my case as to why they should let a 3 year-old join.

And then Emily pointed at this puzzle:



and said, "Look mommy! It's a fish". In my mind, I heard the sound of ripping paper as I destroyed my imaginary letter.

3 comments:

Ginger said...

Yeah, that doesn't really look like a fish. Sigh.

Leah-who is three as well-LOVES puzzles. I think that it's one of her special talents. I personally love puzzles as well, so I know where she inherited it. Sam and Loren have no patience for them. Leah can do 24 piece puzzles easily and is working her way up to 50. Maybe Emily and Leah could be puzzle buddies.

Ami Paulsen said...

What? Can't you see the fish?

Loren said...

I've never seen a horse that looks like that.