Monday, November 2, 2009

Sugar Sugar

In the days immediately preceding Halloween, nearly a foot of snow fell. That's what happens in Wyoming.

The snowstorm gave us plenty of time to carve pumpkins. You'd think with all that time on our hands we would have had one of those really cool ones of the grim reaper or President Nixon. Not so.

Both the girls were fairies this year. Emily was Tinkerbell and Jane was a very round fairy. I've done some quick calculations and I'm not sure those wings have enough surface area to provide lift to Jane's frame. In Wyoming, fairies wear turtlenecks and, as the evening wears on, usually have to don their coats. This will probably be the last matching year. Next year, Jane will have her own opinion on her costume.

Emily takes the cake for trick-or-treating dedication in the 3 year-old category. I went out with her until her bag got too heavy for her to carry (and I was getting cold) and then Chris took her out until it was too late to politely knock on doors.

Then came the best part: the sorting of the candy. Now, I'm not one of those crazy moms who thinks I have to check my kids' candy for razors and joints. I am targeting peanuts. When Emily eats peanuts, her lips swell, she gets hives and I won't even mention what else happens. I am more fortunate. That means I get Emily's peanut laden candy.

(Yes, that's a Fiber One Bar. We live across the street from a guy who grows organic vegetables and runs marathons. No further explanation necessary.)

3 comments:

Ami Paulsen said...

What cute faries! Don't worry Jane; there aren't any wings that would lift my body-mass either.
It's too bad the fiber-one bar has nuts. With all that candy, she's going to need it.

Ginger said...

Thanks for making me giggle! Your neighbor must be a real character.

Robin Schoettlin said...

Great costumes! We got to enjoy Grady's peanut treats as well.... I forgot how wonderful real peanut butter tastes :)!