Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Perhaps she should have taken the term "stay at home" literally.

I admit. I am a germaphobe. I have problems with handles on public restroom sinks and doors. I sanitize my hands after touching pens that have been used by a crowd. I get so tense in dirty houses (dirty - not cluttered. There is a difference) that I sometimes take a shower after returning home from such abodes. However, I try to keep my phobias from other people.

Today there was a crack in the facade of sanity. Let me preface this story with the caveat that I very seldom have any sort of altercation with people whom I do not know. There was a boy at the mall play area that was coughing so hard he could barely breathe. I told Emily to stay away from him. But when he grabbed Jane's stroller, I firmly told him "no" and his mom flipped out. Since I don't know her name and she had a nose ring, we will call her Ms. Nose Ring. Here is an abridged version of a very long conversation between her and me:

Ms. Nose Ring: He's touched all the toys here so your kid is going to get sick anyway. You may as well just accept it.

Me: That is incredibly rude of you to bring your child out when he is contagious.

Ms. Nose Ring: I'm a stay at home mom and I needed to get out of the house.

Me: I'm a stay at home mom too and I would like to be able to get my kids out without them getting sick.

Ms. Nose Ring: I've been a stay-at-home mom longer than you have, Sweetie.

Me: confused silence.

So, it pretty much went on like this until I was pretty sure Ms. Nose Ring was going to punch me. That's when Emily got scared and ran over to me and Ms. Nose Ring left. No doubt to go get a tramp stamp. During the altercation, she insulted my mothering skills again and again, but never gave any sort of justification as to why it was okay for her to have a sick kid in the play area.

Germaphobe or not, I know how the flu is spread and I would prefer, if at all possible, that my children not get it. Is that unreasonable? Maybe it is. But at least if I get sick, I won't have snot oozing out my nose ring hole. Because I don't have one. So take that.

4 comments:

Ami Paulsen said...

Wow! That is right up there on the very long list of things that make me the angriest! I'm one of those moms who keeps my sick kid home from social outings until I know he's not contagious, not until he feels well enough to go out. There is a HUGE difference and people need to realize that. This is why sickness spreads so fast; because of pure stupidity. This is also why I carry lysol spray, clorox anywhere and hand sanitizer with me everywhere I go.
Next time I visit you, I'm going to slap in the face, everyone I see with a nose ring, just in case it is her.

Ginger said...

Wow! I get nervous is my kid coughs once (just for the sake of coughing)and people think that they are sick....especially in this time of flu madness.

I also can't believe how confrontational she was. I would never talk to anybody like that. It's hard for me to talk mean to somebody's face.

And I'm glad that you don't have a nose ring too!

Loren said...

I know what you're getting for Christmas...

Michelle said...

Holy Crap! This is hilarious. A snot ring hole?? I love it :)