Thursday, October 8, 2009

First Snow

Today we got our first snow (I'll try not to complain that it's only October 8th). Here's how the first snow (and pretty much every snow) affects our household.

Upon waking, Emily declares, "Mom! It snowed. I'm going to play and make snow angels and build a snowman!". She is too excited to eat more than a few bites of her breakfast before she demands I find her snowsuit and boots. Jane insists upon being held while I do all this. Finally, realizing that would be impossible, I set her down on a blanket with some toys and turn my attention to Emily.

Twenty minutes later, Emily is dressed for the snow. I'm still not wearing shoes. I race to my room to put my shoes on before Emily ventures out alone in the snow, then race downstairs to find that Jane has thieved a peppermint patty.
I wipe up Jane and put Emily's mittens on. Finally, after nearly half an hour of preparation, Emily is ready to go out.

She's not out for a full minute before she takes off the mittens.

Then she takes a few laps around the backyard.

And sits down in the snow.

And then starts crying because her hands are cold. Five minutes after she ventures out, she comes in for hot chocolate. And then she realizes that she's hungry because she hardly ate any breakfast.

Needless to say, I'm not too crazy about the snow.

5 comments:

Ginger said...

I'm slightly jealous of the snow. It's fun to wake up to it. Dumb Indiana will never have a proper amount of snowfall.

We woke up to hard heavy rain. And it's cold rain, so you can't play in it. It's supposed to keep raining through tomorrow. So we're breaking out the playdoe and sewing the new halloween costumes today.

Richey's said...

wow snow already. I miss cheyenne, but not that part of it!

Ami Paulsen said...

Then I'll complain for you.... What!? Snow on October 8? That's asinine!

Michelle said...

Girl don't I know it. We are having total insanity over here thanks to this weather. I promise to lose my mind very soon...

Allison said...

Um yeah, I'm with you on the snow and little kids. Your kids are so darling! I love that picture of Jane and the peppermint patty, she is so cute! Looks like fun, although from the mother's end I'm sure it isn't all it's cracked up to be.