Friday, June 18, 2010

Looking for a New Plumber and a New Place to Play

First off, I have to apologize to Emily. This is my third post this week. And also my third post about something unsavory Emily has done. I hate to do it, but this has been an unusually rough week. And blogging helps to take the sting out.

Remember how much I said I love the Children's Garden? Well, that was the scene of our great disgrace today and I'm afraid I can never go back. Double sting.

It all started when Jane and Emily were both playing in the "Secret Garden" area, a super cute little area about the size of  my bedroom walled off from the rest of the garden. You enter it through this charming wooden door. (Note: I am using stock photos today). Well, Emily got sick of the Secret Garden. Then Jane got sick of it. We exited. Emily re-entered. "Fine", I said to myself, "if Jane wants to wander, she can wander for a few minutes. Emily is safe in a walled in garden and I will know if she comes out".

Jane wandered for five minutes, tops. I returned to the Secret Garden to check on Emily. She wasn't there. I checked the area with the little tables. She wasn't there. I checked the sandbox. She wasn't there. I was starting to panic. I ran to the windmill area almost in tears. I spotted a friend and made a beeline for her, praying that she had seen Emily. Before I made it there, I was intercepted. By a many tattooed woman in a tube top. And Emily.

I grabbed Emily, trying to hold back the tears. "Thank goodness! I was so worried about you!" (I was still too worried to be mad). And then, to the tattooed woman, "Thank you so much for finding her. I was searching all over". What happened next I was not expecting.

Miss Tattoo began to scream at me. "Did you know she was naked and almost drownded (sic) in the wading pool?! I realize you have another kid, but you are a bad mom. You need to watch both of your children. If you can't do it, you need to find someone who can. I had to pull her out of the wading pool and put her clothes on! I saw you chatting by the bathroom while she was naked. I can't believe you just let her do things like this. I've got four kids and I would never let this happen".

Let me add a few caveats at this point: 1) I was absolutely not chatting by the bathroom. I hadn't even exchanged one word with anyone the entire time I was there, nor had I been by the outdoor bathroom. 2) I was searching frantically for Emily, not screwing around and, 3) She was most definitely not almost "drownded" because her hair wasn't even wet. Also the wading pool is only about 8'' deep. 4) I had absolute faith that Emily was in the Secret Garden, nowhere near the wading pool. 5)You may draw your own conclusions about the paternity of her four children. I won't say anything about it here. That would exhibit a lack of class.

This is the wading pool. It is a small, very shallow man made pond intended for children to wade in. 

I told Miss Tattoo that I realized she really wanted to yell at me but I was doing the best I could and I thanked her again for putting Emily's clothes back on. Really, I was that calm. I am not exaggerating. Then I went to find Emily's shoes.I wanted to dissolve into the ground after being so embarrassed, but we couldn't just leave the shoes. I tried to sneak past my new friend to get the shoes. That seemed to make Miss Tattoo even angrier so she began to spout again, "You need to leave here because you are making a scene and there are children present!".

 Here I was, a grown woman, in the middle of a crowded garden, trying not to cry and looking for shoes. And then I really was making a scene. The shoes were located and I left as quickly as I could. When I got to the parking lot, I realized Chris had just arrived to meet us for lunch. Then I really started bawling. I managed to get out a bit of the story. "Tube top?", Chris said. "Uh huh". "That woman over there?", he asked, pointing. "Uh huh".

Then he went over to have a conversation with her. He didn't want to leave until she apologized to me. I have never loved him more. Unfortunately, you can take the girl out of the trailer park, but you can't take the trailer park out of the girl. And we all know there are sorts that can be reasoned with and sorts that can't. Miss Tattoo belongs to the latter group. May God bless Chris for trying, though. The apology never happened.

Miss Tattoo got into a Marv's Plumbing truck and drove away. Yes, folks, that's MARV'S PLUMBING. You know, Marv's Plumbing on Logan? (Apparently they not only fix plumbing there, but also wear wear extremely tight tube tops and scream at women who are frantically searching for lost children).

I don't know whether I am more embarrassed that Emily was naked in the wading pool or that I got a down home white trash style tongue lashing in the middle of my favorite place in town. Both make me want to die. Why, Emily why? Why do you do it? Is this a stage? Can I channel this endless energy into something positive or does it only work for destructive activities? Please leave your suggestions as I am obviously a terrible mother. Also, please leave your recommendation for your favorite plumber. Unless it is Marv's. We won't be using their services anymore.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Ok, so this experience is not funny I realize but I did fit in a laught or two. The tube top chick needs a good kick in the --- I won't say just in case you ever print this blog and the comments come along with it. Now, as far as your mothering skill, I am certain it far outweighs the tube top and the fact that she was that confrontational with you is just so out of line I can hardly believe it. As for the paternity remark - that was spot on. And your husband has got to be your hero today. Oh the joys of our jobs! thanks for sharing the story :)

Ami Paulsen said...

I wish I'd been there with you. Then you could have inconspicuously sneaked away, while I yelled at tramp stamp tube top lady. That would have accomplished both your goals.
You should deviled-egg her car.

Ami Paulsen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ginger said...

It's always out of line when people yell in public. Wow. I can't even imagine a perfect stranger doing that! I bet her kids get yelled at for breathing wrong.

Anonymous said...

Go back to the Children's Garden. Hold your head up high. You are one of the best mothers I know.