Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Why No One was Hungry for Dinner

I'm still not sure what happened last night. I don't think I ever will be. The facts, as seen through my eyes are these:

I was fixing dinner. Emily said she was starving. I gave her some fruit snacks to get her out of my hair (I don't normally give her snacks before dinner, but it was either that or make the family eat cold cereal for dinner - she wasn't about to leave me alone.) Emily sees a bird outside. She goes outside after it.  I am happy for the break. I keep an eye on her out the window. She yells back, "Mom! I'm trying to feed the bird fruit snacks!". Okay, whatever. Every time she gets within five feet of the bird she runs away screaming. I am unconcerned. 


More running. More screaming. And then, "Mom! Come quick! The bird is dead!". And there, by our porch, this is what I saw:



And so two great mysteries begin. 1) How did it die and, 2) Did Emily touch it?

She assured me time and time again that she never touched it either before or after it took the great voyage into the beyond. She had lots to say about how it died.

1) It got sick and fell down, down, down from the sky.

2) It flew into the porch/house/chair/playhouse.

3) I hit it with June. (June is a doll. Please oh please don't let this be true).

4) I did NOT hit it with June. It died from hopping.

5) I don't know.

6) It is not dead. It is napping.

Obviously absent from this list is the possibility that the bird choked on a fruit snack. We will never know how the bird died, but I am reasonably certain that if Emily took part in its demise it was unintentional. I am also reasonably certain that she didn't touch it. Or maybe I'm just lying to myself because I can't deal with the alternative.

1 comment:

Ginger said...

Wow, yesterday must have been wildlife day or something. Around dinner time here, a turtle tromped into our backyard. Leah tried to give it a flower (I was not around of course) and the turtle almost bit her hand off. However, the turtle did live to tell about it, unlike your bird. What a day!