Thursday, August 12, 2010

Sisters

This past week we have been an incomplete family. We have been missing the most vocal member of our cast. Emily has been to visit her grandparents this week and I have never seen a kid as lonely as Jane. While it makes me sad to see Jane missing her sister so much, I am glad they are such good friends.

When Jane was born, everyone told me to get ready for the backlash from Emily. I heard horrific tales of regression, sibling rivalry, fighting, fighting and more fighting. I was surprised when the kids started interacting so differently from what I had expected. Thus far, they have been the best of friends. Of course, we have the occasional argument over a toy, but for the most part Emily and Jane have been the finest partners in crime our generation has seen.

(Here they are trying to fax something. They actually got a sheet saying the number was busy. Don't worry, it's not hooked up to a phone line)
This week I have been missing the sound of them laughing as they fall over each other. I have missed Emily sneaking food from the fridge not just for her own gain, but for Jane's as well. I have missed them yelling "hide, hide, hide!" when they have done something wrong and they know I am about to find out. I have missed them dressing up as princesses and twirling in the living room to the Clavinova's demo songs. I have missed Emily giving lectures on every topic while Jane does her best to ignore her.

Chris and I are looking forward to Emily's return tomorrow, but I think the most joy will come from a little blond girl who will finally be reunited with her partner in crime.

1 comment:

The Jones Family said...

Beautiful post. You are truly blessed. Give them both a kiss from me.