Saturday, January 22, 2011

Emily's Pet Project

Anyone who knows Emily knows that she is difficult to persuade. This can be a problem when we're trying to persuade her to be good. Thus, we had to keep going with the same negative/positive reinforcement system we've been using for the last year: Three strikes, no sticker. Forty stickers, a reward.

This time the reward was something Emily wanted more than anything in the world: her very own pet. Since Emily is allergic to just about everything with a pulse, we lucked out and were able fulfill the promise with one tiny little fish.

Here is Emily with Chart #2 of 2 required to earn her fish. How long did it take her to earn all 40 stickers? Well, she's been working on it since the end of September and she just finished last night. That makes four months.

Today we went to procure the fish.

First he needed someplace to live. (Yes, I documented the trip to the store. Don't judge me. Someday I'll be old and have nothing to live on but memories.)

Then came the agonizing decision of which fish to buy. Unfortunately, the coolest fish also require the most maintenance so we pointed Emily in the direction of a nice, small, inexpensive, pellet-eating, freshwater Betta.
She was thrilled. So thrilled that she could hardly stand to leave him alone while we got the tank ready.

But with Emily barking orders, Chris had it together in no time.

Unfortunately, we spent so much on the aquarium, we will no longer be able to afford to clothe our children so they will have to wear the aquarium box to keep out the cold. Just kidding. When you buy a four year old an aquarium you buy the cheapest one possible. That way you don't care when it breaks.

Finally the fish, whom Emily has christened "Emily", (despite its being a male - she's under the impression that both fish name and gender is decided by the owner) was installed in its new home.

 How long to I give this poor harassed fish? A week. Maybe two.

I don't really care if he dies. I'll just see it as another opportunity for another sticker chart. And don't tell Emily this but I love to have something to threaten her with.

1 comment:

Kevin and Amber said...

I think a fish is the perfect pet for a 4 year old. Good job on that :) Your girls are so cute!!!