Yes, that's right, as of December 1st, I will once again be a member of the paid workforce. You may be saying, "But I thought she was going to wait another year". You would be correct in saying that. That was my plan. But things changed and my plans changed with them. The right time to go back became now and I was blessed enough to be able to get a job with the bridge program at the DOT.
What will I be doing? Well, I'll let you know when I get there, but rumor has it I'll be analyzing existing bridges to determine safe carrying loads as well as working with oversize loads permits. Rumor also has it that if I'm a fast talker I'll be doing the occasional design.
How do I feel about this? Kind of sad and disappointed that my time as a stay-at-home mom is over. Kind of nervous and excited about using that ol' degree again. But mainly I just feel like it's the right decision.
What do I not have mixed feelings about? The fact that I had a lovely talk with a maid service today. That's right, I'm not ashamed to admit that I am no longer going to clean my own house. I want to glean every second of time to spend with my husband and kids. They're only young once (both my husband and my kids) and an extra few hours with them every week is absolutely priceless. I'm proud to admit that my priorities are just where the should be. Also, I'm doing a happy dance just thinking about coming home to a clean house.
My reasons for going back to work are very pressing and very personal, but right now I am just very thankful that I can. I'm thankful for my education and my career history (are you listening Emily and Jane?) and for the circumstances that allowed me to find a job in a tough economy.
P.S. I have a feeling that being a super mom won't feel very super (at least at first) so my friends may be subjected to multiple sobbing phone calls before I get this thing figured out. Thanks and I love you in advance.
Friday, November 18, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Congrats, Rachael! I think we share the same perspective, and whatever the reasons, what matters is that you feel it best and the right choice. We support you - and you can call anytime!
Hey girl put me on the list of friends to call in sobbing madness. I want to be living the journey vicariously through you. I am not ashamed to admit that I am jealous that your career history is working out for you in this economy. Mine has tanked for good here in this city...and yet this comment isn't supposed to be about me....sorry it's a problem I know. Congrats.
YAY and congrats. Maid service {sigh} ... as soon as I'm back full time!
You are completely and totally rad! I'm way excited for you. It sounds like everything is popping into place for you...especially the maid service.
P.S. I was going to tell you after you recent comment about Enrichment leader on my blog that I just got released from a very long two years as enrichment councilor! Up next, organ..nursery..and cub scouts. Awesome.
Post a Comment