Sunday, September 16, 2012

A Scoop of Leftovers Casserole

There have been a few things this summer/early fall that I meant to blog about, but never got around to it. Welcome to the leftovers casserole edition of my blog.

This past summer, Jane took swim lessons for the first time. Emily also took swim lessons, but I can't seem to find pictorial evidence. This is most likely because their swim lessons were back to back, Jane went first and I spent the vast majority of Emily's lesson time in the bathroom with Jane.


I'm not sure how much either of them progressed this summer, but we have very good intentions of visiting the pool this winter to gear up for next summer. Will it happen? Stay tuned...

In addition to her swimming, Emily has been working hard on her Lego skilz which, I assure you, are mad. She apparently gets this interest from her dad, who kept all the pieces and instructions from his childhood Lego sets. He and his brother had saved up a giant tub of bricks and kept them safe in an outdoor spider infested playhouse for (cough cough) years.

Uncle Brian was kind enough to sign over rights to his half of the Lego collection so it came home with us. The only obstacle to Emily's Star-Wars-fighter-ship-bliss were the few unwelcome six-and-eight legged creatures who had taken up residence. Don't tell her (because she would never touch them again), but that's why we pulled out the jug of Clorox and gave all the Legos a bath in the tub. There were a few unintended casualties (such as the batteries that somehow made their way in) but all told, they came out quite well. Here they are drying after being disinfected and de-bugged. Thanks, Grandma Carol and Grandpa Walter for buying your children such a vast assortment of Legos. They are a wonderful heirloom.


Last, but not least, Emily has finally learned to ride a bike without training wheels!

I worked with her a bit and Chris worked with her a LOT. Finally, yesterday, she got it. You may notice that the bike is a bit small. It was good for learning because she didn't have far to fall, but we do have a bike buying expedition planned for the near future.



Great job, Emily!

2 comments:

Chris Pivik said...

All in all it was a successful summer, I'd say.

I had a great time.

Ginger said...

I'm way jealous of Emily's bike riding skills. Leah is beginning to get it, but we haven't spent enough time with her to help her out. (That was supposed to be Loren's job since it's hard for me to run with a bowling ball inside my tummy)