Sunday, October 13, 2013

Children of the Corn


Yesterday we spent they day on a farm. The whole day I was wondering what the "real" farm workers were thinking... that people were willing to spend money to pretend to be them for a day. Nonetheless, we had fun and did very little actual labor.

We started out with a corn maze.



About 10 minutes in, Chris climbed this thing (I think it's called a combine. I've never done actual manual labor so I wouldn't know.) and spotted a way out. That was convenient because small children have very little patience for a lengthy maze experience.


Then we took a hayride during which we were allowed to harvest all the produce we wished as part of the price of admission. 



The harvesting part was a lot of fun.



Unquestionably, the favorite of the day was the pumpkins. We harvested 11 smallish pumpkins and 3 of the miniature variety. 



As we harvested, it slowly dawned on me that someone was going to have to do something with all this produce when we got home. 

I spent the evening cooking with my faithful sous chef Chris. In our near future are some stuffed acorn squash and enough chicken pot pies to last the winter. 



 Oh... and just so you know, sweet corn isn't all that sweet in October. But who would deny the kids the delights of sprinting through a corn field, searching for an ear that hadn't seen frost?

In other news, the furlough continues. We are becoming increasingly frustrated and a little nervous. Chris wasn't able to take his sick leave, as he had originally been told and the vacation stores are running pretty lean. He has enough hours to keep our insurance this month, though. Next month is still in question. I find it ironic that this fight started over insurance and yet many workers are losing their insurance as a result of the fight itself. Still, Congress won't be rushed. Why would they? They are getting paid.

We are trying to keep our spirits up and stay hopeful and really, yesterday was wonderful. It served a dual purpose: It took our mind off our troubles and, as a bonus, it prepared the kids for the life of manual labor they will be consigned to after Congress brings our country back to its primitive state.

1 comment:

Ginger said...

I didn't think that corn actually existed in Wyoming! Thank goodness for combines (Yes, you had it right) They are everywhere here in Indiana. We pass them on the roads here all the time. Well, I guess we would since we live across the street from a large corn field.