Somehow school started this past week. Jane is in 1st grade this year and Emily is in 4th.
They pick out their own clothes now, so they were both super excited to wear outfits of their choice. Jane spent the entire evening before cracking up about her shirt which reads, "My unicorn ate my homework". Clearly clothing manufacturers are able to tap in to a 6-year old sense of humor. Bravo, Children's Place. I would have never found such a statement even mildly amusing. Personally, I wanted my kids to purchase a shirt featuring the "Dark Side of the Moon" album cover. Not cool, mom, not cool.
Here they are, marching to school, Emily clutching her permission slip and check that will buy her a year's worth of playing violin in the orchestra. She wants to grow up to be like Lindsey Stirling. I'm not sure which girl trend scares me worse: the violin frenzy created by Lindsey Stirling or the bow and arrow obsession created by Katniss Everdeen. At least if you emulate Katniss you can put a little food on the table. In the meantime, we have a basement bedroom that will double as a music room. I think that will provide safe distance. And if this blog is being read by adult Emily as she tours as a professional musician: I knew you could do it, sweetie! When no one else believed in you, I did!
Emily scooted right off to her classroom without a backwards glance, but Jane still wanted us to walk her in and say goodbye. Her teacher is brand new this year and very enthusiastic, but still seems to not be able to be fooled by Jane's shenanigans. I think it will be a good match.
All week they have been making new friends, reconnecting with old ones and working hard in school. It should be a great year.
No comments:
Post a Comment