Sunday, November 1, 2015

Horcruxes and Candy

Halloween happened again this year. With everything going on, we still managed most of the Halloween essentials. 

The kids carved pumpkins of their own creation. Emily carved hers herself


and Jane drew a face on hers for us to carve. 


I cannot express how much I prefer this to the super intricate templates. And the kids have way more fun this way. We were watching Charlie Brown approximately 30 minutes after the first slice into the pumpkins. 


Emily was Hermione Granger this year. She is obsessed with Harry Potter. Ever since we finished reading the 7th book, there has been a bit of a void in her life. 


Jane went as Cinderella 2015. Not the old Cinderella. She made sure we were clear on this. 


Here they are, ready to trick or treat. When you go as Hermione, you get a nice warm robe. When you are Cinderella, you have to wear your coat under your princess dress. That's just the way it is. 

They stayed out for about two and a half hours and collected their own weight in candy. Emily was mistaken for Harry Potter multiple times. I was mistaken for a pirate once. It was a pretty successful evening. We have one of those neighborhoods where the streets are swarming with kids on Halloween night. Chris decided we should keep track of how many kids we got at our door and it was just over 200. I love being part of such a fun community.


On the chemo front, I have started a new drug. It is called Taxol and while I hate it, it is much less punishing than A/C. I am still out of commission most of the day on Saturdays, and I'm exhausted all the other days of the week, but I'm not sick to my stomach anymore. I am starting to hope that there is an end to the misery. Just 10 more weekly treatments and my chemo should be done. 10 weeks feels like forever sometimes. Although I do have plenty to distract me: Thanksgiving, Jane's birthday and then Christmas. I hope it flies by.

4 comments:

Chris Pivik said...

You're the best. Thanks for posting!

moonpies4.blogspot.com said...

I can't believe how much your kids have grown up! Yay for 10 more weeks and yay for holidays for sure. I still think of you everyday and your family is always in our prayers.

Loren said...

200!! That is some serious traffic. We might have had 60 come to our place. No pic of the pirate costume?

Marian said...

So glad you are feeling a little better. We love Harry Potter at our house too!! Also - I made a little Cinderella dress for my granddaughter in Texas! So fun to see Jane as Cinderella too!

The ten weeks will go fast. One day at a time and you'll be done. We are thinking of you all the time.