Thursday, December 19, 2019

Those Girls Sure are Running Fools!



This year both the girls participated in running programs. Emily did cross country again and Jane participated in Girls on the Run.

Some families are sports families. They grow up watching sports on TV and playing sports in the backyard. Those families are great, but they're not mine. 

In my family, it's important to be active, but it's not important to win. 

Here's Chris, pushing the girls in a race when they were small:


Chris is athletic, built for running. I am not. But I do it anyway. My runs are shorter and slower every year and one of these years, my knee will finally force me onto a bike. But while I can, I run.

I'm glad that the girls picked up on this. 


And I'm glad that, despite having received a heaping helping of their mom's athletic ability, they have decided to run anyway. 


After all is said and done, very few kids will grow up to be professional athletes. But the ones who gain the most from their experience with athletics are those who learn determination and consistency. 


Thanks to great coaches and great friends, that's what my girls are learning. 


Long may they run.

No comments: