Monday, February 11, 2008

What About the Children?

Today my daughter is sick with one of the long string of colds that mark the path from fall to spring. Since she isn't having a great day, I decided to make her favorite food for lunch - tomato soup with elbow-roni. You can imagine my surprise when, as I was preparing to serve the soup, I discovered a piece of penne pasta nestled among the elbow-roni. Now I know how that poor woman felt who discovered a finger in her chili. Except, of course, she put the finger in the chili herself. The fault for the piece of penne lies squarely on the doorstep of Barilla. I am convinced it wasn't a mere accident. A piece of pasta shaped just like a you-know-what doesn't just accidentally fall into a box of noodles obviously intended for consumption by children. It just goes to show how vigilantly we must guard everything that comes into our homes be it over the airwaves, through the cable or via the grocery cart.

No comments: