Friday, February 26, 2010

An Ode to the Little Arm

When Jane was born, everyone told us she would figure out her own way to do things. That's something that it kind of hard to really believe when you've never seen it for yourself. I spent the weeks after Jane's birth trying to do tasks one handed - everything from driving a stick shift to getting dressed. I wanted to prove to myself that she could do it. But in doing so, I didn't take two things into account. 1) Jane really will figure out her own way. And chances are that the ways she figures out to do things won't look anything like what I would figure out for her. And, 2) Jane doesn't just have one hand. She has one hand and one little arm. Since Jane's birth, she has figured out how to use the little arm in ways I would have never imagined she would (or would want to) use it. Here are some of her favorite uses for her "residual appendage" as the doctors call it, or her "little arm", as Emily dubbed it in the delivery room and as we have called it ever since.


I was dumb to ever worry Jane wouldn't hold a sippy. She has no problem whatsoever.




Things must feel differently to the little arm than they do to Jane's hand. As a result, she rubs everything, really EVERYTHING on it to see how it feels.




The little arm is great to use for stability while the right hand gets into anything and everything.




This is what it looks like when Jane holds something with her left arm. It makes her shirts so gross that many of her clothes have passed the point of no return, but I don't mind. It is great for her to be able to hold onto something (in this case a bit of quesidilla) while she turns her attention to something else for a moment.




A bit of formal wear for the little arm.




I don't have a picture of this yet, but Jane uses her little arm to turn the pages of board books.




Jane's favorite use for her little arm: holding a blanket against her face while she sucks her thumb. This is her default position.






And last, but not least, Jane does crawl with her tummy off the floor.

I'm sure Jane will keep surprising me with new ways to use her little arm. I'm sure each new use will be even more creative than the last.

7 comments:

Michelle said...

Yea Jane!!! You look great kid:) Keep impressing us!!

Ginger said...

Gasp! You have a piano? I'm so proud of you, tell me about it.

PS-Sigh...she's so cute, I just can't get over little girls some times.

Ami Paulsen said...

She is so wonderful! I wish I lived closer so I could give her a big hug! Jane will be able to deal with any trials she faces. I'm very proud of her.

Rachael said...

Ginger-

It's a clavinova and no, I can't play it. Don't tell my mom that though because she gave it to me (oops! I forgot she reads my blog). Chris plays a little and I have plans to learn how to play at some point, but in the meantime the kids are getting a hands-on love of fine music.

Chris Pivik said...

Thank you so much for posting this, honey. I'd have to say that the majority of the time I don't even realize Jane doesn't have a left hand because she's so good at what she does.

I really am the luckiest guy in the world to have two awesome daughters and the best wife ever!

The Jones Family said...

Rachael,
Jane is so beautiful!! The ingenious ways of children never cease to amaze me. Jane is a beautiful reminder that we all have a divine nature & purpose!

I miss you a ton!!!

Allison said...

She is so sweet and you are a great mom. It's incredible to see how she adapts- guess it's all she knows. Looks like she is doing great! Jane couldn't be any cuter and looks like she is always smiling!