Every year, we run in the Race for the Cure. When we started this tradition as newlyweds, the only members of our family that had been diagnosed with breast cancer were my grandma and Chris' grandma. Since then, Chris' mom and sister in law have both battled (and won) against breast cancer, so the race has taken on new meaning for us.
I have to say I am kicking myself for not bringing the camera to the race, but it's entirely my fault that we were rushing out the door that morning. So I went on the RFTC website to get a generic picture of the race. They don't yet have pictures up for this year, but I found one from last year that was priceless.
That's Chris pushing Jane and Emily beating out dozens of hardcore runners. I can't remember his time last year, but this year he pushed the girls again and finished in 25 minutes even, pushing 61 pounds of kid. The best thing I can say about my run is that I finished less than 10 minutes later. It wasn't much less, but it was undisputedly less.
The kids love running with daddy and Chris loves passing people with the double wide stroller. I love not running with the kids. Everybody wins.
My parents came up for the race this year, which was a treat. My dad cheered us on and my mom ran in memory of her dear friend, Kathy, who lost her battle with breast cancer last year.
I hope to see a cure in my lifetime, but for now, it gives me a great feeling to know that we are doing our small part in the fight against breast cancer.

3 comments:
I'm so proud of you for keeping up with the running! Remember when we used to run up Ivinson and stop at the chocolate shop? Good times..
Jacob and I decided we are going to come to Cheyenne next year and run the race with you guys.
Great job to all of you!!! Chris; you are amazing! I am horrible with a running stroller.
Ginger: I remember that well. It's funny, but I still run so that I can eat chocolate. I just don't do it in the middle of my run anymore.
Ami: That would be great!
Post a Comment