Every now and then, when I'm in the mood to be simultaneously fascinated and repulsed, I will tune into TLC's gem of a reality show, Hoarders. If you've seen Hoarders, you know what I'm talking about. If not, do you really require an explanation beyond the name of the show?
I am the opposite of a hoarder. I am a throw-awayer (You can thank the Brits for that awkward description. I was going to say I'm a tosser. But I'm not.) I take great pride and satisfaction in going through a room or a toy box (shhhh... don't tell the kids) and emerging with a sack of expendables. I hate excess stuff.
There are a few exceptions to this rule. One of these exceptions became abundantly clear to me today when Chris had to install some sort of wiring (don't ask me why) in the closet. This involved the clearing out of the shoes. It was embarrassing to see my problem dragged into the light like that. There they were- in a pile next to the bed- every pair of running shoes I've ever owned.
I've been running for fourteen years. You wouldn't think it to look at me, but running is my drug of choice. (My secondary drug of choice is food which is why I don't look like a runner.) I am not a fast runner, but I am consistent. I have run through sickness, pregnancies and (in the days before I had a treadmill) blizzards. I need to run in order to feel like myself.
Somewhere along the way I developed a bond with my shoes. Their worn soles represent accomplishment. They remind me that I can run farther today than I could at seventeen. And I love them. Every single pair.
Seeing them there made me realize it was time to let go. 10 pairs are now in the garbage can. I kept my current pair for running, another for walking and one for yardwork. The rest had to go. It was past time. Before I threw them away, I gave them one last photo op.
Five pairs of asics, one pair of New Balance, five pairs of Sauconys and two pairs of Nikes. Thousands of miles. I love these shoes.
Saturday, August 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
It's hard parting with old running shoes. But I applaud your parting with them... mostly, because it means our closet is much cleaner now.
I'm so so so proud of you. Not for the throwing away part, for the running part.
That is the most beautiful photo I have ever seen. I would be ridiculously proud of this. You should put this in your wallet and tell strangers about this in airports, malls, stores of any kind. This story cannot die.
So which pair was the best? I noticed a few pairs looked identical.
Chris: You're welcome.
Ginger: Thanks.
Michelle: I wish I had something more to show for it than worn out shoes. Like legs of steel. Alas, I'm stuck with the shoes.
Loren: Good eye! I have two of the same pairs of asics, three of the same Sauconys and two identical Nikes. I like to stick with what works. My favorite were the Saucony Triumph 4. They discontinued the 4 and came out with a 5 which sucked so badly I switched to Nike. I love my Nikes, but I feel like I've sold out to the man.
I am so proud of you for your running. I have run now for 31 years. You know how I know that? I started the year you were born. If you think you'll develop legs of steel by sticking with it, I have disproved that hypothesis. That's OK. That's not what is important. Today, after my run, I said, "I am a 56-year-old woman who just ran 3.4 miles. Thank you, God."
I wish I could have stayed as motivated as you all these years.
Do you remember our first run? We celebrated with ice cream...
Post a Comment