Two weeks with no preschool can be an eternity for a kid like Emily. She loves learning, she loves interacting with friends and she loves snack time. So when Christmas break rolled around a few months ago, we decided that we needed to come up with a way to keep her busy. We pulled out the treasury of Dick and Jane our neighbors had donated to us - just to see if Emily was interested. She was.
Since then, she's started trying to read everything - street signs, food labels, error messages on the DVD player. She's even beginning to figure out our not-so-clever code of spelling words in front of her.
Despite the few drawbacks, I love having a reading kid. I love that she read her talk in Primary last month. I love the confidence that is coming with understanding so much more of the world. Here is what I love most about having a reading kid:
I can't express how amazing it is for Jane to trundle up to Emily and demand, "Emily! Read it!", and to see Emily actually sit down and read it.
Next stop: teaching Jane that hands are not for hitting. This could be awhile.
Saturday, April 9, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Let me know how you accomplish the 'hands are not for hitting' campaign. I'll be out of the country for the next couple of months. :)
It has got to be one of the hardest things to stop spelling words in front of the kids. Although it's funny watching them try to figure it out in their head and guessing wrong what was said.
Pig Latin works pretty well. I am proud of Emiy. What a cute picture.
Cute!! Maybe Jane and Simon can learn the no hitting lesson together.
P.s. don't let Jane watch the incredibles. It just makes it 10 times worse.
Post a Comment