Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Ready or Not...

Today I began the registration process for my firstborn to attend kindergarten. As unreal as that sounds, it's totally true. Our elementary school is overflowing so getting Emily a slot involved standing in line for an hour... in the wind. The whole time I was standing there I was thinking, "Is this really what I want? For her to go to school and be a big kid and to learn swear words from the kids of some of the 'higher quality' parents in line with me?"

Then I realized I didn't have a choice. Because, believe it or not, this kid is ready to go to kindergarten.

Whether or not I'm ready to send her is a different (and unfortunately irrelevant) matter. All I can hope for is that she remains the independent girl I know. I don't ever want her to fit in. She's too good for that.

2 comments:

Ami Paulsen said...

I think Emily will ever be you one of those people does something only because the crowd is. That girl is amazing.

P.S. How did she get her feet turn like that?

Anonymous said...

You were too good to fit in, too. Are you going to do what I did and sneakily peek into the kindergarten windows when she's not looking?