You can't turn 5 without a little recognition. There's nothing Emily loves like a blowout party. Unfortunately for Emily, she has a mom who is not a big fan of party planning or large groups of children. So after a lot of negotiation, we pared the guest list down to a few kids and threw a simple party the Saturday before her birthday. Her chosen theme was Toy Story (changed from Princess so she could invite boys)
This cake was my first foray into fondant. Thanks to Chris' help, it turned out pretty well... for an amateur.
Here is Emily sitting and waiting impatiently for her friends to arrive.
Once they did arrive, we had a rousing game of pin the badge on Sheriff Woody.
*Note: The one on Woody's nose is Jane's. We didn't even blindfold her.
And then some pizza, from none other than...
Pizza Planet!
The pinata took quite awhile to crack.
In this shot it looks like Emily had just given the star its deathblow, but let me assure you that the pinata had been wounded for a good 10 minutes and was still a good 10 minutes away from meeting its demise. Oh, and just in case you're wondering... A mid-May birthday in these parts means you have to hit the pinata in the garage rather than the backyard. A tragedy... I know.
The party was actually a relatively mellow success, and none of my worst fears realized themselves.
The celebration continued on Emily's real birthday with presents galore.
I told Emily she could have whatever she wanted for dinner. Her menu: blueberry pancakes and bacon with beignets for dessert. She must have been carbo-loading for something, but I'm still not sure what.
Happy Birthday, five-year-old girl!
5 comments:
What? you made that cake? It's completely amazing....and even if you didn't make it, I'm still giving you credit.
There's nothing better then a 5 year old party! Nice work.
you did an excellent job on this party, the cake...etc. Great job. My hat's off to you.
Happy Birthday Emily!! The cake looks incredible:)Did you make the characters out of fondant too?? If so, you should go into business for yourself. I'll place an order. Also I can't believe how insanely jealous I am of the fact that she can buckle herself into the car. If only....
Thanks, everyone. Although the bedspread is fondant, the characters are the finest plastic Target offers. If I had made them, I think I would be on Food Network at this point.
Michelle: your older kids are close to buckling age, it'll be here before you know it.
Um, can you come decorate Lillian's cake next year? Every year mine pretty much looks like she decorated it herself...that includes when she was two.
Seriously. That's a super cute cake!
Post a Comment