Sunday, June 28, 2015

Eat, Pray, Love, Protest

So lots of people have been asking lately if I have any news. No I do not. I saw the plastic surgeon this week and while I am a great candidate for surgery etc, etc, I still need the blessing of the insurance company. So my case is now caught up in insurance and no one will schedule until I've been authorized (which I will be but it may take time). If that doesn't happen this week, I have a game plan. You know all those same sex marriage advocates? I figure they are probably getting bored and miss the lobbying/advocacy/protesting scene. Well, I'm going to round some of them up and head down to the insurance office. We may not have time to change the protest signs, so I may end up accidentally married to a woman by the end of the week, but at least I will have force behind me.

In the meantime, since Chris and I had to miss our vacation, my parents were kind enough to watch the kids so we could have a weekend in Denver. We had our own version of eat, pray, love.

Eat. (we ate A LOT this weekend)


Pray.


Love. (We all know Chris' first love is the theater. Actually this was the first production of anything he's seen. It was fun)


Then my fabulous friends put together a girls' night for me. It was great. I tried to get a picture of everyone, but I missed half the room because I got distracted and because my new phone is weird. There were 20+ friends there to support me. My sister came from Denver and a couple of great friends came up from Northern Colorado. It was amazing. One of the best parts is that Phyllis, one of the matriarchs of our girls group whom I have admired and loved for years came. She is a few weeks recovered from her double mastectomy performed by the same surgeon who will perform mine. That was an enormous comfort to me. 

These ladies let me laugh all night long and they brought me freezer meals so that I didn't have to cook while I was recovering which will be a great relief to me since the grilled cheese sandwiches I made for dinner tonight nearly wiped me out. My only concern is that my family will get used to this quality of meal. Hopefully they will be so happy I am recovered that they won't mind going back to chicken nuggets for dinner. 

Monica, you are an angel for putting this together. I'll love you til the day I die. So much that you could possibly be the woman I accidentally end up marrying by the end of the week. My apologies in advance.



And then, because I wanted to and because it made me happy, we went to see the fields of wildflowers that have sprung up east of town. 



So that was my week this week. Lots of love, lots of support and still no surgery scheduled. I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

Ami Paulsen said...

Awesome! Let me know if you need me to make a rainbow shirt that says, "Fight for boobies!" and come chain myself to the insurance building because I'll be there. And I'll invite all my friends with rainbow-tinted Facebook profile pictures to join me.

Marian said...

Ha Ha - You've got a great sense of humor. Yes I love the idea of rainbow t-shirts. I don't get it - I thought the reconstruction was part of all the insurance plans. Weird. Insurance companies NEVER lose. It makes me mad!

Loved the support of your friends and parents and all pictures you posted. The temple is the place to find answers and comfort. We love you Rachael!