Monday, December 21, 2015

Fifteen

Today is my fifteenth anniversary. A decade and a half ago, we were two college kids that made promises that we may not have understood fully at the time, but which we were determined to keep. We have seen a lot through the years. As much as this year has sucked, we've been through worse and we will continue to go through this together.

I wanted to take some time to thank Chris for all he's been through with me for the last year. The day I found my cancer, he accompanied me to the doctor's office because he knew I was scared. The next week he held my hand as they did the biopsy. He was there at the surgeon's office as I cried when I was told a mastectomy was my best option. He wept with me that day as I learned I would have to have chemotherapy. He called and nagged the surgeon's offices when I was having a hard time getting a surgery date set. He gave me a blessing the night before surgery that everything would be okay. He waited for 9 hours during my surgery, never leaving the hospital just in case something happened. He rejoiced with me when we got the news my nodes were clear. He took care of me for 2 weeks following surgery, even after he caught pneumonia. He washed my hair when I couldn't raise my arms. He walked with me so my muscles wouldn't atrophy. He has gone to every chemo appointment with me. When my hair started to fall out, he shaved my head. He has taken care of the kids as I've been sick and tired. He singlehandedly purchased, delivered and installed a new washing machine when ours broke on the same weekend as my 4th and worst round of chemo. He gets me mint tea and cookies to me when I go to infusion because infusion is long and cold. He tells me that the peach fuzz on my head "definitely looks darker" and "for sure is longer" than last week. Now he is supporting me as I am skidding, dragging and crying toward the finish line of chemo. I love him and I know that he loves me. Someone who didn't would have checked out of this circus a long time ago.

This is our latest picture together. At the chemo "spa" last summer. Maybe it's time I started letting my picture be taken. Maybe after a few more eyelashes grow in.


Anyway, happy anniversary, Chris! I love you. Thank you for everything. 

2 comments:

Ginger said...

Amazing guys! Way to go! You are one amazing couple and we look up to you!

Marian said...

Wonderful tribute to a wonderful husband. We are praying for you constantly.