It's amazing how a room full of ladies with glue guns, scrapbooking pages, iron on transfers or mod podge can make me feel like I'm back in seventh grade gym class not getting picked for a volleyball team. I would rather spend the afternoon having a root canal than crafting.
When I craft I feel as if I am trying to diffuse a bomb while wearing boxing gloves. I was once told, "You know, you could be a much better crafter if you if you just tried". This statement presupposes two things 1) That I really would be better at it if I tried (which I might not), and 2) That I care enough to try to improve my skills (which I don't).
I just don't care. I feel a huge weight being lifted as I admit this and yet I also feel as if I'm offending 3/4 of my friends. You know - the ones who have hand crafted signs in their entryways that say something like "Bless this Mess" or "Friends Welcome Here" or "NO Stairway to Heaven". But what's the point in having friends who don't love you for who you are?
This brings me to last night. This year, some of my friends had put together a team for Race for the Cure. I thought as long as I was going, I may as well join their team, which honors their grandmother who passed away from breast cancer. Last night I got a call saying we would be meeting to make shirts to be worn on race day in conjunction with this effort to honor their Grandma Ruby. Now, I am all for honoring this great lady, but I wasn't thrilled that it required a crafting effort on my part. The shirts were to say "Ruby Racers" and be studded with red rhinestones. Here's where I let the finished shirt do the talking for me:
Sorry, Grandma Ruby. I plan on making a new one this afternoon.
The most tragic part of this story is that I was just called as Enrichment Counselor in my ward's Relief Society (for those of you who don't know what this is, one of my duties is to oversee enriching activities for the ladies and I will be lynched if a great many crafts are not included). I plan on counting on the Enrichment Leader to take care of the details and the appliquéing. Maybe now's the time to finally start making my effort. Or maybe it's time the ladies of our ward put away their bedazzlers and learned how to program macros.
Thursday, August 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Poor Grandma! That's so terrible. Good luck with your new calling. Since you are the top person in charge, you could make everybody learn about macros if you really wanted to.
Just tell everyone you're running for our poor Grandma Ybur who had cancer. I sure do miss that old dame.
Post a Comment